Thursday, January 25, 2007

A day away from home.

Two weeks ago I was scrambling to put together a marketing plan for the Marina I worked at. The next day I was unemployed - today I'm sitting here wondering what I'm doing attempting to write a blog!
Life is sorta like that! Just before Christmas we discovered a lovely little Thai restaurant near where Bob works. We stopped in for lunch. I had a lovely Red Curry Duck that was so soul satisfying that I think I've been dreaming about it. I was hoping to go back there and fill my mouth with those lovely flavors one more time . . . so that I could recreate it at home.

Alas; it was not to be. It is now a Mexican/Central American restaurant. This is not a complaint! Lunch yesterday was every bit as good as the duck, if not better! The waiter arrived promptly to seat us and bring us chips and a thick salsa with lots of cilantro. The specials were Chili Colorado and Mole con Pollo. If Mole is on a menu I'm all over it no questions asked. My friends and family know that I am not a chicken leg fan - don't eat 'em, don't know why (and really don't care!). My plate arrived with a leg and thigh covered in a thick, rich, homemade Mole, 2 different flavored rice preparations (one red and one white) a realistic serving of refried beans, and two hot fresh tortillas. The mole was deep and chocolaty, with just the right amount of spice and perfectly balanced. I ate both pieces of chicken - and did give thought to licking my plate. Bob chose the Chili Colorado made with luscious, large chunks of pork, rather than beef, simmered in a beautiful, pure chili sauce and served with the same rice, beans, and tortillas. The service was perfect, the plating was as pleasing to the eye as the food was to the mouth.
After lunch we spoke to the owners. They were amazed that pupusas were among my favorite foods - and that I made them at home. It was great fun discussing our love of Mexican and Central American food with them. After a wonderful conversation we agreed that next time we go in we'll just let them pick our food. What fun, I can't wait to get back there for lunch again.
Hmmmmmm, in the meantime . . . . what to eat for dinner?




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is going to be so fun to read, Sharon. I can't wait for the next installments!

Jan

Billy said...

Well, for heaven sakes, my lil' kumquat! Here I was feeling sorry for you, imagining you sitting around mooning and depressed over your lack of employment [yeah right], and here you are enjoying the high life. I am glad to hear you aren't just sitting around, but going at things whole hog as you usually do.

What a kick, now you have someone to talk about Mexican/Central American cooking, give tips to and receive from. You, lovely lady, always cheer me up.

Keep on keeping on!

Anonymous said...

This is gonna be fun Sharon. We need daily entries please. :)
Ive not eaten a Mole, must search out a recipe and give it a try, and Red Curry Duck is right up my alley too!

Keep up the good work, its obvious this blogging stuff comes easily to you.

cj said...

Finally!! Good job Sharon - it's fun isn't it?? Our own little worlds that someone else can't delete, edit, close down, or any other dastardly deeds!!

What town is that restaurant in? Must add it to our southern-trek-restaurant-musts!!!

jean